Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a...sandwich!

When the planet Krypton exploded, a lone capsule was launched into space in an effort to save that dying civilization by preserving one young sandwich. Landing in rural Mexico, the young sandwich grew up and migrated to an urban metropolis. Now, when someone calls out in hunger, the unassuming sandwich dawns its cape and tights and turns into one of the best sandwiches in the greater LA metropolis: Super Torta.

In a city of a thousand tortas, Super Torta is one that deserves its name. Located on Alvarado, south of third, Super Tortas does one of my favorite versions of the traditional Mexican sandwich. Traditional Mexican meats, guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes on a fresh, pressed bolillo roll. My favorite is the milenesa, that Latin American version of chicken fried steak. The milensa torta is the perfect combination of salty, crunchy and meaty, the thin, fried patty blending so well with the guac. The ribeye (lomo de res) is also excellent. The pork, usually my favorite of anything, is a bit dry.

I've only tried the Alvarado location but there are two others:

Super Tortas
360 S. Alvarado St.
Los Angeles, CA
(213) 413-7953

7951 Vineland Ave.
Sun Valley, CA
(818) 765-2496

1253 N. Vine St.
Hollywood, CA
(323) 469-8912

2 comments:

Bon Vivant said...

I haven't been to Super Tortas for a long time but I must revisit it soon (I used to go to the one on Alvarado).

Have you had Cemitas? It's like a torta but different. They are divine!

sku said...

Hmmm, I always thought cemita was just another word for torta. What's the difference? And where would I go for good Cemitas?